The incredible victory by the Patriots comes only second to Bob’s 1st place finish. He’ll look to repeat his Brady-esque performance next year as we now enter our sad dry spell of no football :(. There’s no question that Bob has already started his early scouting reports and training camp to prepare for 2017. Congrats to all our top finishers as your names will be forever etched into the annals of the Metro Football Pool Hall of Fame (well… at least so long at the internet continues to exist and I can afford to make payments for this badass website)! We wish everyone a great offseason and thanks again for making the pool a ton of fun!!
1st – Bob Gonzalez
2nd – Phillip Thompson
3rd – Zach Schneider
4th – Rich Leatham
Hot Tub – Ryan Huey
Although both the games this weekend were pretty much over before they started… the Super Bowl should be a completely different story. After accounting for all our early season New England picks, here’s how the season might conclude with a potential 39 point swing on the line…
The Main Pool:
- Papa Gonzalez – you’ve held strong and haven’t been over thinking things this post season… well you probably have. The good news – you can’t finish in less than 3rd. The bad news – you could finish in 3rd.
- “Z” – you’ve floated around the top pretty much all season and deserve a payout after flopping in fantasy football so badly. The worst you can do is 3rd.
- PT – you’ve fought hard to earn a money spot… with a lot of help from guys like Gary & Rich. You can finish anywhere from 1st to out of the money in 5th. Yikes!
- Snowflake Hourigan – I bet a lot of the professional speed walkers that you work out with ask a similar question… how do you move your hips like that? I mean… where in the world did you come from?? You’re out of range for 1st or 2nd but could finish anywhere from 3rd-5th… and part of our annals for the 3rd straight year!
- Rich – this is your chance to prove to Cassie that you are in fact a man. You’re out of the money and won’t finish any worse but could finish as high as 3rd. This would allow you to treat her to a nice dinner.
The Hot Tub:
Since week 12, Theee Huey has been unstoppable. However, Josh could spoil everything in a similar fashion to what Stacie did in 1996 and 2013. I don’t know if Stacie actually did anything strange in ’96… but I also don’t know if she didn’t.
If I did not call you name… sadly there’s nothing you can do at this point except finish the season with pride so you can revisit the rankings all year round and aspire to reach the top next season! Never be a quitter. Good luck and cheers to another great season!!
So many questions. Why is a dude named Trey taking this picture of ODB Jr. taking a picture of himself posing on a boat? Why can you not take your eyes off this pic? Is this what these guys did for most of that day? If so, how do I get an invite on the next excursion? Earlier this season we discussed how the kicking net sucker punched ODB Jr. in the face… in week 18 he allegedly got attacked by a wall in the locker room at Lambeau Field. He’s a winner.
Speaking of highs, Elias bested the entire lot in week 17… but everyone pretty much has their game face on at this point so competition is tighter than Jr.’s abs. Josh and RC tied for high score in the Tub but it’s going to be mighty difficult to dethrone our current leader… in fact, everyone should just go ahead and give up at this point. Rob and Dusty tried to get cute but ended up with a blurry selfie.
Playoffs get weird so I’m not going to fault anyone for trying to make a move in week 18 or beyond. However, I will note that Doug actually turned in his picks and still managed only 8 points. That’s all I have to say about that. A lot of folks posted perfect scores, but I have a feeling that this will be much more difficult in week 19. Good luck!!
Also, as a follow up to my previous post on paying the pied pool piper. We’re down to 3 delinquents. You now have 3 ways to go about this: check, Paypal (pool email), or Venmo (pool email). Get it done.
First off… Happy New Year! At least Mariah’s performance ‘breakdown’ was the last debacle before the end of 2016. She’ll ‘shake it off’ like the rest of us saying ‘bye bye’ to 2016 and embracing 2017 with ‘open arms’… for ‘one sweet day’ soon there will be a winner in the Main Pool and I will be the ‘hero’ of the Hot Tub. ‘It’s like that’, yo! Ok… Mariah song tribute over… just remember I can’t do this ‘without you’.
More to come but a couple house cleaning items…
- Wild Card weekend starts on Saturday so that’s when picks are due this week.
- Time to get paid… don’t make ask Siri to ask Echo to ask Jarvis to Google incriminating pictures of you to grace our blog. I’ve collected from most but there are a few stragglers out there. If you don’t see ‘X’ in the paid column by your name that’s a problemo.
Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! In the event you don’t read all the incredible literary masterpieces on the blog… a friendly reminder that after week 17, we play all the way through the Super Bowl with each playoff game being a wager game. There’s still plenty of opportunity as we’ve all seen in the past so don’t give up. Aiiight… no one get’s left behind:
Week 14 – The 2016 season marks the most consistent season for the Nelson’s in pool history. It took 6 years for them to figure out that it’s important to submit picks EVERY week but they continue to roll this season after posting another high on week 14. They currently sit in a prime spot to try to cash in this year… amazing! Jason’s monster score also vaulted him up the Hot Tub standings, but it’s going to be extremely difficult for anyone to overtake the current leader… who happens to be one of the pool’s greatest legends and all around international role model. Zach had a rough week and can’t seem to crack the first place code… it’s dangling right in front of him like a tasty carrot to a horse. You can’t just rely on Gary’s late season fade. Kyle posted the low in the Hot Tub but…
Week 15 – …then redeemed himself with a high in week 15. However, the biggest development besides the beginning of the end for the Bucs was the start of Rich’s meteoric rise. We’ll get to that in a minute. Bob and Olga both got cute and ended up on the low end of the spectrum… but I think Bob was the bad influence and Olga probably agrees.
Week 16 – After back-to-back highs, Rich jumped into overall first. Zach must be pissed but probably not as much as Faulkner. I’m not sure what Dave was thinking… the next lowest score was Gary’s but that was almost 50 points higher. Also, Gary… WTF?!? Zach… maybe you can rely on Gary’s late season fade. Coulter posted a low in the Hot Tub that was almost as embarrassing as Dave’s… but not quite. And finally, Dylan had a nice moment in the sun, but still has a better chance (albeit a long shot) to overtake me on the bench. Yeah, Brah!
Good luck this week and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
WTF is going on in Tampa… just when you think you’ve got the Bucs all figured out they go screw everything up. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and sorry for the delay in moving that turkey image down the page. As an additional update, that turkey has been killed :(… but the good news is I think that pic was from a while ago so he’s been dead a long time.
The pool has officially separated into winners and… winners. Highlights:
- Main Pool Highs – Bob won the MVP turkey leg in week 12 with a dominant performance and big gamble Green Bay’s resurgence. Bob credits his stellar play this year to ‘double checking’ his picks… hehe… you know like discount double check… Aaron Rodgers? I know it wasn’t funny… double check yourself before you wreck yourself. Week 13 goes to “soon to be father like any second” Elias… this is the lucky week!!!
- Main Pool Lows – In week 12, the Nelson’s didn’t show that cunning focus we’ve witness this season. Similarly, the Frenchman tried to make an interesting move with the Jets in Week 13 but it turned out about as ugly as that game. Who picks the Jets??
- Hot Tub Highs – I went ahead and put everyone on notice in week 12. I’m not screwing around with this sh$% anymore and you should all expect complete domination from this point forward. While both Josh and Stacie had fantastic week 13’s (awwww… very cute guys!), it’s not surprising that Stacie edged him out for the high. There can be only one.
- Hot Tub Lows – Olga (aka Nana)… you can thank my good friend Richard Bautista for posting a pretty horrendous week 12 score. If it weren’t for Richard, I’d be writing about you in back-to-back weeks (this honor is traditionally reserved for the Nelsons). I guess I’m kind of discussing the situation. Sorry. The good news is that you are the best and I’ll leave it at that!
Good luck this week and get those picks in!
As a quick reminder… week 12 starts the Hot Tub!! I can finally move on to further embarrassment in the kiddie pool. Yeah! The week 12 pick sheet has been posted since we’ve got 3 games to think about on Thursday in addition to tasty delights which are sure to distract our keen football senses. If you want to jump out of the main pool, just say the magic words in your email this week. Some of you are on the slower side, so just in case… the magic words are “Hot Tub, please”.
Shining laser pointers in people’s eyes is definitely a way to get yourself on the wrong side of a 40′ wall… who does that?!? Osweiler has a hard enough time completing passes to his own team. The good news is that laser pointers don’t phase Dylan. In an effort to avoid the Mexican mayhem, the man does his pick sheets blindfolded. Hot Tub, please!
After posting a strong 116, Rich now leads House Leatham. Knowing Cassie, that type of nonsense will likely be short lived one way or another :).
Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and good luck this week!!!
Times are a changing in 2016…
- The Cowboy’s are the #1 team in the NFL… and look the part.
- The Nelson’s continue their march towards the top of our standings with this week’s high. Drawing inspiration from the Trump, they’re on a mission to make this pool great again. If their success is any indication of what’s in store for America… good things are to come. Actually, this pool is already the best in the world.
- Gary is still our fearful leader after several weeks on top. Don’t worry, his main weakness is his lack of experience in this spot… the crown will get heavy.
Just when I thought I couldn’t possibly get any dumber, I went ahead and dropped a 17 pointer. Yea… that blows. A score like this is dangerously close to one that the Rams could match on their best day. To make things worse, Faulkner mailed me a napkin with his week 10 picks like 4 weeks ago before he left for his annual grizzly bear hunt and still scored roughly 5.3x more points. F#$%.
It’s interesting that the Giants are the only team to beat the Cowboys this season… but (spoiler alert Ed McD) they’ll get throttled in the rematch on 12/11. Good luck this week and get your picks in on time!
More to come, but just so everyone is aware… tie games receive credit for full points. We’re cool like dat.
Better late than never… or better never as far as kicks like this are concerned.
Week 7 – Chris May-be there’s a chance managed another high of 116. We basically talk about him every week and now I’m starting to better understand Lexi’s comments about all the attention he requires… “it’s like living with a Kardashian” makes a lot more sense. Anne… this was not a good week for you. It was also not a good week for my girl Erin on Project Runway, but you both will bounce back to victory so long as Laurence stops making cool leather jackets.
Week 8 – After carefully combing through the annals of this season, it was discovered that David Huey officially posted the lowest score to date! Boom! Twenty-one may have been fun to celebrate at FSU, but it’s not something that’s very good in this pool. You’re better than this. On a high note, Dylan showed up with a 74… yea, I think we can all agree that it was a weird week.
Week 9 – This is the Lee Nelson we’ve all been waiting for!! The Nelson’s have started the traditional unraveling a bit late this season, but we all love and appreciate them for it. Meanwhile, Papa Gonzalez is spending a lot of time on the computer and it’s not just on websites that are usually blocked/restricted for kids and those of us at work. After posting this week’s high, he now sits in 3rd overall… trailing only Gary and Zach who have both been holding steady.
Good luck to everyone this week… and to the United States. I understand if you don’t want to vote, but no excuse for not submitting picks.
Strange times are upon us. After 6 weeks, the Nelson’s are in 4th place. The highest that Lee has ever finished is 30th… which took place that one year where we only had 30 participants. Some week 5 recap:
- He was first week 4 but last week 5. According to Dusty (and the great Ricky Bobby), anything other than first is last so there’s no serious cause for panic.
- He was last week 4 but first week 5. C May offers a twist on this philosophical perspective… anything other than last is basically first.
Good and bad jobs guys! You’re still bottom of the barrel with me… woohoo!
As far as week 6, Faulkner crushed it and almost doubled Lori’s very rough score. I’m still voting for you for El Presidente, but I think she just called you a “nasty man”. Is that your old college nickname or just what the guys call you in the gym these days?
Good luck this week and get your picks in on time!